Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mrs. Gillmore's Reading Bucket List

ASSIGNMENT:  Create a Reading Bucket List of ten books you would like to read.  Include a 50-Word commentary on why you would like to read the selected novels.  Caution:  the commentary should not be a summary.
____________________________________________

Listed below are ten books, in no certain order, that I would really...I mean REALLY...want to read.

  1. Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgin - by Richard Paul Evans:  Last summer, I received an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) of the first novel in this young adult series...very exciting!  About a young man who suffers from Autism, which results in bullying, this novel is one that I hope to use this as a support piece for my Beta Club's platform this year against bullying.  On another note, I also just really enjoy reading all books by Richard Paul Evans, and so far, he has not disappointed me with this series, either.
  2. Anna Korina - by Leo Tolstoy:  It's coming to the BIG SCREEN, so, yes, I must read the novel before watching the movie!  I obtained a free copy of this novel a year or so ago when our school library was discarding books and realize that this is a very looooonnnnng read, but I keep hearing a fellow teacher say a few years ago in  Pre-AP workshop, "It's actually really good."
  3. I Am Number Four - by Pitticus Lore:  About this time last year, a student in my newspaper class asked if I had read this novel.  I said, "No."  He then convinced me to purchase a copy, which as since sat on my book shelf.  Everyone says the movie is great, so, again, of course, I must read the book before watching the movie!  I do enjoy science fiction, so I look forward to finally reading this novel.
  4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - by Stephen Chbosky:  Yes, another novel that is coming to the big screen!  While watching the previews on the just-released The Hunger Games movie, I saw this preview, became intrigued, looked around half.com, and purchased this novel.  From the previews, this novel might be one we could use as part of the Beta Club platform against bullying.  Plus, Heromonie...well, the actress who played this role...will also star in the movie!
  5. The Hobbit - by J. R. R. Tolkien:  I must give this novel the credit for introducing me to fantasy when I read it along with my students more than a decade ago.  Then, this year, I noticed a student of mine reading this novel, and she reminded me that yes, The Hobbit, too, will be coming soon to the big screen!  Yes, you already know...one must read the novel before going to see the novel come alive on the big screen.
  6. The Book Thief - by Markus Zusak:  This one I have intended to read for some time, for everyone that has read it gives the novel excellent reviews.  Set during the Nazi time, this novel's author chose a very interesting narrator:  Death.  Interesting, uh?  Plus, embedded in the novel is a love of books, a love reading.  Yes, interesting.
  7. Gone with the Wind - by Margaret Mitchell:  In the words of my daughter, "It's a sin for an English teacher from the South to not have read Gone with the Wind."  Not wanting to be a sinner, I really should read this novel!  Yes, following her words, I then purchased a copy, and it a very thick copy, too!  Here's hoping for a few extended snow days...then for enough time to watch the movie afterwards!
  8. The Clockwork Angel/Prince - by Cassandra Clare:  Clare, the author of my very most favorite vampire (and other fantasy-type characters) series The Mortal Instruments, then wrote this series, The Infernal Devices, and according to a teacher friend is very good, even better than The Mortal Instruments.  The Infernal Devices takes place 150 years prior to The Mortal Instruments during the reign of Queen Victoria.
  9. Kisses from Katie:  A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption - by Katie J. Davis and Beth Clark:  I am not sure where I discovered this book (think it might have been in my Wednesday evening WMU monthly magazine).  I do look forward to being inspired by this young lady's story of faith.  A missionary trip to Uganda resulted in a life-long goal, which has now resulted in Katie's currently attempting to adopt thirteen little girls...yes, thirteen!  Wow!
  10. Calico Joe - by John Grisham:  Our BHS Reads faculty book club has chosen this novel for its first book-of-the-month read.  This novel, relates the story of Joe Castle, a Cubs baseball player from Calico Rock, Arkansas...yes, my home state.  The husband read the novel earlier in the summer...in one evening, so this will be a great, quick read to begin our school-year of reading.
Yay!  Ten great reads!

Just this evening, I signed up for the RIP....R.eaders I.mbibng P.eril and hope to complete four to six novels for this online personal challenge, which qualifies me for Peril the First.  Coincidentally, four of the above ten will assist in my completing the RIP (my fourth year to participate!).  

You may visit my personal blog here to read more about my choices.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment