Sunday, January 13, 2019

2: YA and Mythology

For this third quarter unit, I have asked each to choose a young adult novel based on some mythological concept.  After a bit of looking, I chose one...then learned it might have slithering creatures within its pages...yikes!...therefore, I then chose another!  Since I am already hooked on the first one, I am going to read until I encounter such creatures that shall not be named...knowing I have a back up!

My YA Based on Mythology:

  1. Descendants by Rae Else...the first in a series
  2. Fury Frayed by Melissa Haag...the first in a trilogy
AND good news...both are e-books!  Why the excitement? I continue to force myself to read using a digital device in an attempt to break my book addiction.  AND...both of these are FREE!  I love free.

Descendants connects to Greek mythology and Perseus, while Fury Frayed relates to Norse and Greek mythology (not sure how...have not read far enough yet...:)  These titles also help fulfill my commitment to choose a paired young adult text to read with each unit (A Break with Charity the The Crucible and Jake, Reinvented with The Great Gatsby).

Once, we have finished the books, each will do an oral presentation explaining the connection of the young adult book to mythology...then, our unit will take a turn as we get to know veterans from the Vietnam and Korean time periods, as each student searches for THE mythological person that best represents their assigned veteran, for veterans are heroes.  All of them are.  Heroes.

Please share!  What are other young adult novels based on mythology that you would encourage us to read?  Heroes?  Villains?  Now...to find out how prevalent the slithering creatures will be on the pages of my novel!  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment